At a Glance
|Activity Type:||Family Adventures and Sightseeing Adventures and Signature Collection|
|Duration:||5 to 5.5 Hours|
|Adult Price:||$349 (ages 10 and up)|
|Child Price:||$329 (ages 5 to 9)|
|Ages:||5 And Up|
- Travel approximately 20 minutes from the pier via private motor boat to the San Marco area along the Canale della Giudecca.
- Begin a guided walking tour from the Venetian's favorite square. After some remarks on the history of Venice, which power for many centuries resided in these buildings, you will admire the Marciana Library and the Loggetta by Sansovino, the belltower, the clocktower and its 2 bronze Moors, the 2 wings called Procuratie Vecchie and Procuratie Nuove, besides the Cathedral in the daylight.
- Continue toward the Doge's Palace, the former official residence of the Rulers of Venice (Dogi), one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture, well known for its ornate fašade and multi-arcaded loggia. Here, you will climb the famous Golden Staircase, admire the paintings from Tintoretto and Veronese and wander through the echoing Great Council Chamber and many other historical rooms, during an approximate 60-minute visit.
- Next, re-board your boat and glide the water canals to a local Venetian mask shop.
- At the shop, you'll learn about the history of the masks and its creation. In the 1700s, when Venice was Europe's party town, masks were popular—sometimes even mandatory—to preserve the anonymity of nobles visiting the city. At Carnevale (the weeks-long Mardi Gras leading up to Lent), everyone wore masks. The most popular were based on characters from the low-brow comedic theatre called Commedia dell' Arte, like the Harlequin, the hypocritical plague doctor and the Columbina. Masks are made with the simple technique of papier-mâché.
- Move on to the mask studio, where kids, joined by Disney Cruise Line Youth Counselors, will have the chance to choose a mask style and decorate it in various ways, with paint, decorative finishing's, paper, ribbons, lace and costume jewelry. During the approximate one-hour experience, parents have the option to explore the surroundings for shopping or to take in the beauty of the Venetian scenery.
- Meet up with the group to see the final results, before walking to board the boat that will take you back to the ship.
- This tour is only available on the Disney Magic's 12 Night Mediterranean Cruise departing on June 14, 2014.
- Guests must be ambulatory. Wheelchairs (collapsible or electric) are not permitted. Tour operators will deny participation to Guests arriving in wheelchairs or electric scooters.
- This excursion involves extensive walking and Guests are advised to wear flat, comfortable walking shoes.
- The Doge's Palace includes more than 100 steps throughout the visit; passengers must leave bags in a secure store. This tour is mainly on foot and involves a lot of standing.
- Flash and video cameras are not allowed in the Palace.
- For security reasons, large bags and backpacks must be delivered in a checkroom before entering the venues. Guests are highly recommended not to bring such items with them during this excursion, in order to avoid any inconvenience and loss of time.
- The order of tour sites and its durations may vary depending on traffic and overcrowding of venues.
- A "whisper system" headset will be provided during the tour.
- Temperatures can get extremely high during summer. Guests are encouraged to wear hats, sunglasses and sunscreen lotion, and to stay hydrated.
- Guests are encouraged to bring credit cards and currency to purchase optional extras such as souvenirs, food and beverages.
- You should never feel that gratuities are expected, but it is customary to leave a tip in recognition of exceptional service in restaurants, taxis and for excursion guides and drivers. It is always up to you to determine the amount.
Port Adventures are operated by independent contractors that are neither agents of, nor supervised or controlled by, Disney Cruise Line. Disney Cruise Line does not maintain their facilities or modes of transportation and is not responsible for any injury or property damage/loss that Guests may incur in connection with a Port Adventure. All Port Adventures are subject to the Disney Cruise Line Cruise Contract. All Port Adventures are subject to availability and/or cancellation based on weather, itinerary changes, and attendance. Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult on Port Adventures except for specific "teen only" Port Adventures. All prices are subject to change without notice. Cancellations can be made up to 3 days prior to the cruise departure date. After that time all reservations are final and non-refundable.