At a Glance
|Activity Type:||Nature Adventures and Family Adventures and Sightseeing Adventures|
|Duration:||6 to 6.5 Hours|
|Adult Price:||$168 (ages 10 and up)|
|Child Price:||$114 (ages 5 to 9)|
|Ages:||5 And Up (recommended for ages 10 and up)|
- Cruise approximately 45 minutes down the glacial fjord between Skagway and Haines on a catamaran, enjoying a narration and close-to-the-water views of scenic waterfalls and marine wildlife.
- Arrive in Haines and travel by expedition bus to a location where seasonal wildlife viewing is the best. Explore 6 wildlife habitats including: ocean, estuary, river, lake, old growth forest and muskeg.
- Use binoculars and powerful spotting scopes (photos can be taken through the scopes), as guides search for and identify: mountain goats in alpine meadows, bears along the river, bald eagles, colorful song birds, shore birds and waterfowl. This is a great opportunity to photograph the stunning scenery and wildlife in their natural habitat. Historic photos of Tlingit villages are available to compare the current landscape to how it appeared 100 years ago.
- Watch a fish technician count and sample the run as they net, measure and weigh one in ten salmon crossing the weir. On the shore of a picturesque lake, experience the living tapestry beneath towering hemlock and spruce trees on a nature walk through an ancient muskeg. Learn the relationships between species, their edible or medicinal uses and identify the carnivorous plants along the trail. Check off the day's discoveries with complimentary checklists for the wildlife and birds of Haines.
- Enjoy a leisurely pace where enough time is taken for exploration, photography, observation of animal behavior and lots of questions.
- Relax during a picnic-style lunch with your experienced naturalist/guide who might be a biologist, a forester, a published botanist, a science teacher, an environmental educator or the former head ranger for Glacier Bay National Park.
- Learn about the small Alaskan town of Haines and the National Historic Landmark Ft. Seward during the drive back to the Haines dock.
- Return to Skagway on a 45-minute, scenic catamaran cruise.
- Wheelchairs (collapsible or electric) are not permitted. Tour operators will deny participation to Guests arriving in wheelchairs or electric scooters.
- Guests should dress warmly, in layers, and carry raingear. In addition, comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Picnic-style meal may include a chicken-Caesar wrap, whole-grain chips, fresh fruit, cookie and bottled water. Vegetarian/vegan options are also available with 24 hour notice. Please contact Disney Cruise Line or see your Port Adventures team onboard.
- Due to the extremely limited availability of this shore excursion, Guests are encouraged to book early.
- You should never feel that gratuities are expected, but it is customary to leave a tip in recognition of exceptional service in restaurants, taxis and for excursion guides and drivers. It is always up to you to determine the amount.
Port Adventures are operated by independent contractors that are neither agents of, nor supervised or controlled by, Disney Cruise Line. Disney Cruise Line does not maintain their facilities or modes of transportation and is not responsible for any injury or property damage/loss that Guests may incur in connection with a Port Adventure. All Port Adventures are subject to the Disney Cruise Line Cruise Contract. All Port Adventures are subject to availability and/or cancellation based on weather, itinerary changes, and attendance. Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult on Port Adventures except for specific "teen only" Port Adventures. All prices are subject to change without notice. Cancellations can be made up to 3 days prior to the cruise departure date. After that time all reservations are final and non-refundable.