At a Glance
|Activity Type:||Family Adventures and Sightseeing Adventures and Nature Adventures|
|Duration:||7.5 to 8 Hours|
|Adult Price:||$229 (ages 10 and up)|
|Child Price:||$174 (ages 3 to 9)|
|Infant Price:||$0 (ages 0 to 2)|
- Meet your guide, board an air-conditioned motorcoach and travel approximately 90 minutes up Mount Etna, which has erupted more than 130 times over the years. En route, see the beautiful countryside covered with vineyards and orchards, while crossing villages built along the slopes. Mount Etna, whose Arabic name was Jebel Utlamat (the Mountain of Fire), is the second largest active volcano in Europe, currently standing 3,329 meters, only behind Mount Teide in the Canary Islands. It is one of the most active volcanoes in the world and is in an almost constant state of eruption.
- Arrive at Sapienza Refuge, at an altitude of approximately 6,562 feet (2,000 meters) above sea level), where you’ll board a cable car and continue traveling up to an approximate altitude of 8,203 feet (2,500 meters) above sea level.
- Debark at the arriving station and continue your ascending journey, this time led by alpine guides aboard special motor vehicles named Unimog®. Enjoy the “lunar“ landscape of black dunes as you zig-zag your way up to the highest point available for visitation, at approximately 8,859 feet (2,700 meters) above sea level, just under the summit. Note: this point varies based on weather conditions and other safety concerns determined by local authorities. Guests will not see active lava streams.
- Join one of the local Alpine Guides during an informative walk around the area, observing possible steam/gases, learning about the volcanic system apparatus and about lava flows.
- Return via Unimog® and later the cable car to the Sapienza Refuge, concluding an approximate 2-hour visit to the high altitudes of Etna.
- Next, reboard your motorcoach for a quick tranfer to a local restaurant at Crateri Silvestri where you’ll savor a typical Sicilian lunch during an approximate 90-minute stop.
- Conclude your lunch and relax on the scenic drive down the mountain and back to the ship.
- Guests must be ambulatory. Wheelchairs (collapsible or electric) are not permitted. Tour operators will deny participation to Guests arriving in wheelchairs or electric scooters.
- Guests with heart and blood pressure conditions should note the high altitude of the area visited and consult their physician to determine if this activity is appropriate for them.
- The Mount Etna drive is narrow and winding. Guests who suffer from motion sickness should take this into consideration.
- Local authorities monitor the geological activities and may close one or all of the sites at any time due to safety reasons.
- The excursion is not stroller accessible.
- Guests are encouraged to bring a wind breaker and dress up in layers due to low temperatures. Closed-toe shoes are also advised to avoid the loose lava pebbles.
- Mount Etna and/or its summit may not be visible due to low clouds or fog.
- Lunch is included and may offer Sicilian appetizers, 2 choices of pasta (one with pistachio sauce and one with tomato sauce), cannolo dessert, wine and mineral water. Wine may be served to Guests ages 21 and older only.
- Guests are encouraged to bring credit cards and currency to purchase optional extras such as souvenirs, food and beverages.
- You should never feel that gratuities are expected, but it is customary to leave a tip in recognition of exceptional service in restaurants, taxis and for excursion guides and drivers. It is always up to you to determine the amount.
Port Adventures are operated by independent contractors that are neither agents of, nor supervised or controlled by, Disney Cruise Line. Disney Cruise Line does not maintain their facilities or modes of transportation and is not responsible for any injury or property damage/loss that Guests may incur in connection with a Port Adventure. All Port Adventures are subject to the Disney Cruise Line Cruise Contract. All Port Adventures are subject to availability and/or cancellation based on weather, itinerary changes, and attendance. Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult on Port Adventures except for specific "teen only" Port Adventures. All prices are subject to change without notice. Cancellations can be made up to 3 days prior to the cruise departure date. After that time all reservations are final and non-refundable.